This muffin needs no intro! It’s my favorite everyday muffin that I always have on hand for breakfasts and snacks. Chia seeds add a special texture and bump up the nutritional profile with omega-3 fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals!
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ½ cup gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 medium, very ripe bananas (1 cup mashed)
- ⅓ cup creamy almond butter or preferred nut/seed butter
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk or organic soy milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Position the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, mix together oat flour, almond flour, rolled oats, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas until there are no big chunks. Add the nut butter and maple syrup and mix until well combined. Now, add the almond milk and vanilla and mix again.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until no dry spots remain. Then, fold in the blueberries.
- Scoop out a heaping ⅓ cup of batter into each muffin mold (I use my 3 ¼-ounce spring-release scoop or disher). Bake in the oven for 23 to 26 minutes until the muffins are almost firm to the touch.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, place them on a cooling rack, and let them cool in the muffin tin for 15 minutes. If using a nonstick muffin tin, use a thin spatula to run along the edge of each muffin and pop them out. If using a silicone muffin pan, let the muffins cool until the pan is no longer hot, then pull the sides of the pan to release the muffins. Place the muffins on the cooling rack and let them cool completely. Keep these muffins in the fridge for two to three days or in the freezer for up to three months.
This recipe has been adapted from “Plant-Based Cookbook” by Ashley Madden. To buy this book, click here.